Our embargo policy for original research papers -- which is designed to ensure broad and accurate coverage of author contributions in the press -- can be briefly summed up as follows:
- No news coverage of the paper can appear anywhere before 2:00 p.m. Eastern U.S. Time on the Thursday before the paper's publication. (Science is published each Friday, except for the last Friday of the calendar year.)
- Scientists are welcome to present the results of their upcoming papers at professional meetings to colleagues. If the paper has been accepted for publication, authors are asked to inform the Science Press Package team that they are planning to make such a presentation.
- Comments to press reporters attending your scheduled session at a professional meeting should be limited to clarifying the specifics of your presentation. In such situations, we ask that you do not expand beyond the content of your talk or give copies of the paper, data, overheads, or slides to reporters.
- Scientists with papers pending at Science should not give interviews on the work until the week before publication, and then only if the journalist agrees to abide by the Science embargo.
- Please do not participate in news conferences until after 1:00 p.m. Eastern U.S. Time the day before publication.
Any questions about the embargo policy can be addressed to the Science Press Package team, at firstname.lastname@example.org. A full statement of the policy is mailed to authors upon acceptance of their papers for publication.