Like it or not, cities are here to stay. Already, half of us live in cities—and that portion is growing. An urbanizing planet has sobering implications for the environment, and for us. Urban areas consume vast resources, produce pollution, and sprawl into both farm- and wildlands. But cities aren’t just a potential problem, they also will be central to solving our problems.
More on our Urban Planet special package
- "Leave no city behind" editorial by M. Acuto and S. Parnell
- "In Brazil, a plague of rats signals what may come in a more urban world" feature article
- Podcast interview with author Warren Cornwall on "A plague of rats" news feature
- Science's previous editorial and news coverage on urbanization
- Use our infographics to explore the rise of the urban planet