Matt Grover/Flickr (CC BY-ND 2.0)

Death by bagpipe

It might sound like an Agatha Christie story gone awry, but a man has been killed by his own bagpipes, USA Today reports. The culprit? A fungus that incubated in the instrument and traveled to the man’s lungs, causing a dangerous infection, researchers report this week in Thorax. For nearly a decade, the man suffered from a dry cough, shortness of breath, and extreme weakness. When researchers tested his bagpipes, they found that the insides were riddled with yeast and mold, probably giving him the hypersensitivity pneumonitis that led to his death. Unfortunately, their finding came out too late for the man—he passed away nearly 2 years ago. But he leaves behind a legacy: The researchers are now calling the disease, when it strikes musicians, “bagpipe lung” in his honor.

Latest News