- How do I update my institution’s IPs?
- How do I view my institution’s usage statistics?
- How do I reset my institutional account login information?
- How do I update my institution’s site administrator?
- How do I report an access issue?
- How are institutional FTE counts calculated?
- How do I renew my existing institutional subscription?
- How do I request information about additional subscriptions?
- How do I add my institution’s logo to the Science website?
- Where can I view the terms and policies of my institutional site license?
The institutional site administrator is solely responsible for managing the authorized IP addresses affiliated with their institutional site license. AAAS does not perform IP updates on our customers’ behalf. Please be aware that usage is monitored based on downloads from each IP address registered to your institution and that usage fees may apply.
You will need to log in with your institutional username and password via http://science.sciencemag.org/login in order to make any account updates. To add or change your institutional IPs, go to http://www.sciencemag.org/subscribe/manage-your-institutional-subscription and choose “Update Your Account Information.” On your account information page, select “View/Change Your IP Address” to enter your institution’s IP address(es).
Place each authorized IP address in the box provided, following these formatting rules:
- Each IP range must contain only four segments, or octets, each with a number or range between 0 and 255.
- Dashes (-) indicate an incomplete range within a given octet. For example, all addresses between 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199 would be written 188.8.131.52-30
- Asterisks (*) indicate the full range 0-255 in a given octet. For example, all addresses between 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 would be written 1.1.1.*
- A series of consecutive IP ranges may be indicated with a combination of dashes and asterisks. For example, all addresses between 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 would be written 1.1.20-30.*
- No segments of an IP address can be blank.
- The first segment cannot contain a range (-).
- The first and second segments cannot contain a wildcard (*).
- The third and fourth segments cannot both contain a range (-).
Please contact email@example.com if you require further assistance.
COUNTER4-compliant usage statistics for the Science family of journals are available through our website at http://science.sciencemag.org/sub/instusage. Please note that you will not be able to access this page unless you have logged in with your institutional username and password via http://science.sciencemag.org/login.
You may also access your institution’s usage statistics through the HighWire portal at http://highwire.org/librarians/. Additional information about how to set up and use this portal can be found in the HighWire Librarian Toolbox: http://highwire.org/librarians/toolbox.dtl. Instructions on how to harvest our COUNTER XML statistics via the SUSHI protocol can be found at http://sushi.highwire.org.
Usage reports are generated on a monthly basis and become available 10–15 days after the end of the calendar month. You may sign up for an alert at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive an email when each month’s new reports are available.
Unlike individual memberships, institutional logins are registered with an alphanumeric username rather than an email address. The login page for institutional administrators is http://science.sciencemag.org/login. To reset your institutional account password, go to http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/recnamepwd. Once you have provided your institutional username or 8-digit AAAS number, a newly-generated password will be sent to the site administrator’s current email as registered in our systems. If you are unsure of the username or AAAS number associated with your institutional account, please contact email@example.com for assistance.
If your institution’s primary point of contact has recently changed, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the full name and email address of the new administrator. Please be sure to indicate your 8-digit AAAS number in the subject line of your email.
Because our systems only allow for one primary administrator, please note that the site admin will be the one to receive all important account correspondence such as subscription information, renewal reminders, and invoices unless a secondary billing contact is designated. Your institutional login credentials will not be affected when the site administrator contact information changes.
If you or your users are unable to access online content to which your institution subscribes, please contact email@example.com at your earliest convenience. To help us diagnose your access issue, please take the following steps:
- Clear your browser cache, completely close your browser, and then retry accessing your subscription content in a new session.
- If this is unsuccessful, go to http://www.sciencemag.org/feedback to verify the IP from which you are currently viewing the site.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: your institution name and AAAS number, your current IP address, a description of the error, and screenshots of the article(s) you are unable to access. If you are able to access content from some parts of the magazine but not others, kindly make note of this as well. Please make sure the top of the page with the URL is visible in your screenshots.
Our pricing for non-profit customers is tiered and based on the number of full-time equivalents (FTEs) across the entire institution. Part-time employees should be included in the full FTE count for all institution types on a 2-to-1 basis; that is, 2 PTE = 1 FTE (round up to the nearest whole number). Full FTE count is defined as follows:
- Academic institutions: full-time-equivalents include (a) current professional staff, such as faculty, teachers, researchers, and teaching/research associates, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites and affiliates covered by the license; (b) individuals who are officially enrolled as a registered student at the Licensee's institution (both graduate and undergraduate levels) at all sites and affiliates covered by the license. As of the 2017 rate year, academic FTEs exclude administrative/support staff.
- Hospitals: full-time-equivalents include (a) current professional and medical staff, such as doctors, nurses, and medical technicians, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites covered by the license; (b) all researchers, research associates, and medical students employed or enrolled at the hospital. As of the 2017 rate year, hospital FTEs exclude administrative/support staff. If an academic institution will provide access to an affiliated hospital or medical center, the FTEs for the hospital must be included in the total university FTE count. If the IPs of the hospital are entirely separate from the university, and will not be included under the university’s activated account access, these FTEs should not be included.
- Other non-profits: for research institutions, government bodies, and private non-profit organizations, the total FTE count includes all current employees, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites covered by the license. Administrative and support staff are included in the full FTE count for these institutions.
- Corporations: While for-profit corporate pricing is based on usage, we require the FTE count for new subscribers to be able to provide introductory pricing. The total FTE count for corporations includes all current employees, whether on a permanent, temporary, contract, or visiting basis, at all sites covered by the license. Administrative and support staff are included in the full FTE count for corporate customers.
Please refer to our license agreement for further details and contact email@example.com with any questions.
Four months before your current subscription term expires, AAAS will send the institutional site administrator a renewal notice with pricing information and subscription term dates for the coming rate year. We will also send periodic follow-ups as your expiration date approaches until we receive a response. To confirm your renewal, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to either request an invoice for direct renewal or to inform us of the subscription agent who will be handling renewal on your behalf. Any additional updates you can provide during your renewal process are much appreciated.
Please note that print and online subscriptions are handled by different departments at AAAS. For any inquiries about your institutional print subscription, please reach out to our Membership department at email@example.com for assistance.
You can see a full listing of the e-resources that AAAS currently offers to institutional subscribers at the following link: http://www.sciencemag.org/subscribe/sitewide-subscription-access-institutions. If your institution is interested in a free trial or price quote for any of these e-resources, please complete the form at http://www.sciencemag.org/request and a representative will contact you shortly with further information. If you are interested in an institutional print subscription, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The AAAS/Science Library Branding Program allows you to place your organization’s logo in the upper-right corner of sciencemag.org. This location, considered high-value real estate on any website, has been reserved for your exclusive use as part of our commitment to our institutional customers. Each time one of your users visits the Science website, your organization’s logo will remind them that paid access to our high-impact journals has been made possible through your institutional subscription.
You will need to log in as the institutional administrator via http://science.sciencemag.org/login in order to make any account updates. To add or change your institutional logo, go to http://www.sciencemag.org/subscribe/manage-your-institutional-subscription and choose “Update Your Account Information.” On your account information page, select “Change” next to “Institution Logo” to upload your image. Please note that the maximum dimensions for your image are 150px wide x 60px high. Supported file formats are GIF, JPEG, and PNG and the maximum file size is 15KB.
The Institutional Site-wide Subscription Agreement may be found at the following link: http://www.sciencemag.org/subscribe/science-online-journals-institutional-license-agreement. Institutional access to the Science family of e-resources is subject to the terms of this agreement unless another signed agreement between AAAS and your institution exists for the current subscription term. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this agreement, please contact email@example.com.