Grants Without Citizenship Requirements and Studying in Rural America


Are there grants without citizenship requirements?

What opportunities are there for studying rural medicine?

Dear GrantDoctor,

I'm a postdoc who moved here from Australia in February 1999. I have been working on marsupial immunology, specifically, characterizing T cell receptor genes in marsupials and looking at the evolutionary relationships of mammals to each other. I am currently funded by my adviser's NSF grant. Do you know of any grants that I would be eligible to apply for that do not have any citizenship requirements?

Thanks in advance for your help,


Dear Michelle,

There are grants available to non-U.S. citizens, but you still need to ensure that you are eligible to work in the States--that is, you need to have a current visa or work permit. I found that the Irvington Institute for Immunological Research (IIIR), a private, nonprofit organization based in New York, awards postdoctoral fellowships that do not require U.S. citizenship. The next deadline is 7 July, so you have time to get your application under way. Stipends are very competitive--$37,000 in the first year to $43,000 in the third. One caveat--the IIIR Web site is currently being revamped, so some of the information posted online may have changed. Your best bet is to call IIIR at (212) 576-1005 and ask for details on these awards.

You might also want to search Next Wave's sister site, GrantsNet, for grants that do not require citizenship. A quick search gave me 36 returns for grants that included "immunology" with submission deadlines later this year.

Another option is to adapt the GrantDoctor's Guide to Searching for Funds to locate funding opportunities. To start you off, take a look at this list of immunology associations from which you could gather further information.

Happy grant hunting...

--The GrantDoctor

Dear GrantDoctor,

Hi. I live in Idaho in a very rural area--the population is 1300 people and the closest college is 3 hours one way. I have been a volunteer E.M.T. for the last 2 years, and I also do other volunteer work. I want to go to college in the medical field in a program called Medical Assisting. I am having a very hard time in finding grants, scholarships, or funding of any kind. I am sure there is something for me out there under Rural Medicine. If you have any advice or could point me in the right direction, that would be great.



Dear Kandice,

You're on the right track--there are rural health care resources out there that can help you make such a transition. You could opt for a student loan to see you through college. The U.S. Department of Education has specific information about loans and applying for financial aid. And you may want to get in touch with Idaho's State Board of Education and the State Department of Education for information on Idaho's student loans system (their contact information is below).

That's a start, but without more information, it is difficult for me to give you specific advice about Medical Assisting per se. In terms of "rural medicine," however, there are a number of resources and informational guides available online that may be useful to you. A good place to start is the federal government's Office of Rural Health Policy, which is an excellent source of information about rural health care and research. The Rural Information Center Health Service has information on funding opportunities--I found a great set of grants and scholarships links through their Funding Resources page. Check it out.

You should also contact Idaho's Department of Health and Welfare, which runs a rural health program, and find out about local funding opportunities and financial aid for schooling (their contact information is also given below). In fact, anyone interested in rural health care can find information about their own state's Office of Rural Health in the Office of Rural Health Policy's Directory of State Offices and Health Associations. Other online resources include: the MU RuralNet Rural Health Care and Community Resources; Rural Health Services Funding, and Rural Health Interdisciplinary Program.

I hope this gets you--and others in rural America--off to a good start.

Good luck!

--The GrantDoctor

Idaho State Board of Education

P.O. Box 83720

Boise, Idaho 83720-0037

(208) 334-2270

Fax: (208) 334-2632

Idaho State Department of Education

P.O. Box 83720

Boise, Idaho 83720-0027

(208) 332-6943

Academic Scholarship Program: Robert C. Byrd Scholarship

Rural Health Program

Idaho Department of Health and Welfare

P.O. Box 83720

450 W. State St., 4th Fl.

Boise, ID 83720

(208) 332-7212, Fax (208) 334-6581

Due to the high volume of questions received, The GrantDoctor cannot answer all queries on an individual basis. Look for an answer to your question published in this column soon! Thank you!

Follow Science Careers

Search Jobs

Enter keywords, locations or job types to start searching for your new science career.

Top articles in Careers